We are looking at the big states and ignoring UTs mostly because the numbers are too small to make a significant point and due to the lack of availability of dietary data.
Kerala tops the HDI list with 0.782 and also ranks high when it comes to non-veg consumption with over 97% of Keralites being non-vegetarians. Second, in the HDI rank is Punjab with 0.724. Strangely with its global reputation of being home to the celebrated ‘Butter Chicken’, Punjab stands as a predominantly vegetarian state with over 68% in the state preferring a vegetarian diet.
The lowest in the HDI rung is Bihar with 0.574 and overwhelmingly a non-vegetarian state with 92.45% of the population choosing meat over veggies. The second-lowest position belongs to Uttar Pradesh with 0.594 HDI, and just over 52% of the population opting for non-vegetarianism while the remaining 48% of the population are strictly vegetarian.